The kids are heading back to school this Monday…hurray! I’m not the only one cheering. They like school too. They are anxiously waiting to see their class lists, teachers and schedules posted. They also have been ticking off their back to school needs that we must rush out and get now. I love that because they share these lists with me as if I might not really know what your average pre-schooler, 5th grader, 8th grader and high school freshman will need to get started on the first day of school. I keep reminding them that I am not an amateur in this department. I know it is just part of their anticipation.
So while we continue to count down the days (five) here is my Back to School Thursday Thirteen.
- My all time favorite back to school commercial is the Staples’ “It’s the most wonderful time of the year” commercial where the parents are dancing gleefully behind the shopping cart while the kids trudge along behind them.
- The new one using the Easy Button is funny too.
- Bill and I have been teasing the kids asking them to go ahead and hit out Easy Button that sits on the computer desk.
- I think they are afraid that they will be deluged with school supplies.
- Still, wouldn’t it be cool if that did happen. Think of the $ we would save! I wonder…
- I am thrilled to be sending Daniel to his special ed preschool already having met two big IEP goals that we made this past spring.
- We are still struggling with the potty training and catching a ball but they will come in due time.
- His physical therapist feels the ball catching might be easier once he is wearing glasses again.
- He has glasses but he has outgrown them with his most recent growth spurt. Of course he hardly wore them and his blind mother just didn’t push the issue because we were working on other issues and he was running, jumping, climbing and other things without them. But lately he is really interested in glasses. He was very excited when I suggested he should get some new ones that fit. He sees his pediatric opthmalogist in September.
- It’s fun watching Zoë get excited about starting high school. She is really looking forward to this next stage of her life. She is so excited she even is willing for mom to take a back to school picture in front of the school on Freshman Orientation Day….silly girl! I suggested we do it off hours.
- Abby is happy to be out of her sister Zoë’s shadow for a year. In spite of their being so close in age (20 months) they are so much not alike. Abby definitely wants her back to school photo taken during off hours and not in front of her friends.
- Jodie is probably the most excited. She can’t wait to show off those new braces of hers.
- I still need to get some headbands and extra scarves for her to wear. Her haircut is just now starting to grow a little. Aaaaarrrrggghh!! I hope that she will never, ever do something like this again.
I see that I am not the only one out there with school on my mind. A Readable Feast: In a school daze. She has some great links that are all focused on gearing up for our kids’ school.
The purpose of the Thursday Thirteen is to get to know people a little better. Anyone can play. Leave your links and comments below if you are playing along and by all means, check out some of the other Thursday Thirteen players that you don’t already know.