Blogging friend and co-worker, Sharon writes: I want to know what you think are the five most important things you should know to be a successful blogger.
- Be yourself- there are so many different blogs out there..so many…way too many. The blogs that I read regularly are the ones that are written by people who are just that in their blog. They feel comfortable in their blog when I read it. I have found this to be true with those bloggers that I have the good fortune of meeting and knowing in real life.
- Define yourself/your blog- What kind of blog is it that you have? Why are you blogging? Now would be a great time to come up with your own mission or purpose statement that defines your space, why it is in the blogosphere and what you are doing with it.
- BLOG. WRITE. POST. PUBLISH. Do it with some regularity. It could be every day. It could be several times a day. It could be Monday through Friday only. You are the boss of this blog. Set a schedule and try to stick to it with some regularity. Every blog post does not have to be the ultimate, award-winning blog post to end all blog posts. Some may be so-so but you can only improve with practice, practice, practice. You will define yourself more clearly as you grow and develop the space.
- Be social. Link up to other blogs whether in a blogroll of your favorites or in your blog posts. Answer questions that may be left in your comments. Say hello. Think of your blog as something like a cyber-cocktail party or backyard barbecue at your place. What kind of hostess are you? Here is where I confess that I am kind of shy. I have to work really hard to be social even in my own place and I am pretty casual and relaxed…I will have a drink in my hand and wave to you to make yourself comfortable and help yourself.
- Above all else, do YOUR best and people may like it but more importantly be sure that you like it.
Pretty simple, pretty basic, I know. But because this circus life of mine can be so crazy, I try to keep everything else as simple and basic as possible. I can’t tell you the secrets to a successful, monetizing blog that attracts MAJOR traffic because that is not the kind of blogger that I am. I can tell you that the writers of the successful, monetizing blogs with lots of traffic that I have had the pleasure of meeting face to face are true to these five basic principles too. I think ultimately to be successful we need to be consistent, confident, courageous, candid and curious; not just in blogging but in everything we do.
And with that, my friend, I would say that, in my eyes, you are a success. Truly. The most favorite thing for me about your blogging is that I can hear your voice (the warm, friendly voice I hear when we exchange shift reports at work or just catch up on our lives outside the NICU or blogging world).
Thank you, thank you every one who left me a question this week. Your questions poked, prodded and provoked me in a very good way.