- I know that my son has not been growing.
- I’ve known this truth since he was a 6 month old infant (two months adjusted age) and the working diagnosis on his medical records I had to submit to his social worker stated “failure to thrive”.
- I knew he wasn’t growing when his former pediatrician in San Jose suggested that perhaps he was having feeding issues and not growing because of something I was or was not doing.
- I knew he wasn’t growing after he received a gastrostomy tube and was stuffed with more calories a day than the average adult should take in. I knew he wasn’t growing when started to take him to preschool…to kindergarten…to elementary school and he was literally head and shoulders shorter than his classmates…who all happen to be a year to nearly two years younger than he is.
- I knew he wasn’t growing when he wore the same size clothes and shoes for nearly two years.
- I knew he wasn’t growing when he would wrap his arms around me to hug me and the top of his head…his 9 year old head would only come up to my waist.
- I knew he wasn’t growing every time he has stepped on the doctor’s scale and had his weight and height checked…at least I knew he wasn’t growing like a boy his age should.
But as I gathered all his medical records and growth charts as requested by his endocrinologist I see it all here in black and white.
He has not been growing or at least growing normally, like a normal, healthy child and there I see…in black and white…little dots indicating his growth that SHOULD be somewhere in between those curved lines not BELOW them…and, forgive me, I am going to cry just a little once more.