Now don’t get mad. Some of the opinions expressed in this post are absolutely, positively not my own. Meanwhile, is it safe to come out of the bunker yet?
A good friend posed this question today:
For those of you who believe in the message “Make America Great Again”, what year do you last believe America was Great?
Knowing him, I do believe him when he said this was a 100% serious question posed with no intent to argue or denigrate. Just him trying to wrap his mind around this thought and promise made.
You all should know that I just adore this friend of mine and the intellectual challenges he throws out there sometimes.
Meanwhile, I sat back, popped open a can of La Croix with lime and enjoyed the show.
- Morally…perhaps 1972…before we made the murdering of babies legal!!! …oh dear…
- Black babies in particular. So sad. …oh dear, oh dear…
- the 50’s …sigh!
- I haven’t been around that long…millennials can be so cute and cuddly sometimes!
- When Bill Clinton was president!
- Back when it was still under British rule. …here I am hearing Farmer Refuted because, yes, Hamilton is still my jam; and why should a tiny island across the sea regulate the price of tea?
- I think it’s always been great.
- Just before Nike said just do it.
- When John Wayne saved us all. Since Will Smith took over it has seemed a little more brash and in yo face. …I thought that this is one of the reasons why people liked the Republican candidate because that will play well in the global arena fo sure.
- America was kinda great from 1880-1940. Then really great 1941-1990 or so. Then 1990-2015 only kinda great again. Now its quickly getting less great. To me great means jobs for everyone, new infrastructure, social cohesion, a positive and upbeat and honest assessment by our leaders and the press. And yes it also includes we must keep the peace when needed overseas. Personally i would like to see the USA take over the entire planet so all humans could live in greatness. Vote Trump, Hillary for Prison. …I might need to retreat back to my bunker…
- I’d say after 9/11 it’s been all downhill.
- Once they outlawed incandescent light bulbs. …raise your hand if you believe in Science!
- 1840 …because The Trail of Tears of course
- Before the treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo …eye roll
- As I sit here watching The Outlaw Josie Wales I can’t help but think it was not during the”wild west” times. …I’m getting dizzy from the eye rolls y’all
- As a white person it’s easy for me to “pick” a date. Honestly, this country has been wrong for so many for so long. Being married to a man of color it is becoming more apparent that huge populations of people have been unjustly treated throughout our country’s history. It makes me sad and I want my kids to be treated fairly on who they are, not because of their ethnicity and skin color. …oof!
- Make America one again. and remember the party that supported slavery. oh dear, oh dear, oh dear, oh dear…
I’m not going to go back into my bunker again just yet even if last night’s speech literally scared the shit out of me. I believe that judging the greatness of America is subjective, kind of like profanity, R-ratings and porn – it depends on who is judging. In the world of the 24-hour news cycle, we are as great or weak as the moment. I’d like to see what the GOP/Trump thinks what is greatness – I fear it could be a time in history where segregation, lack of civil rights for minorities, women and LGBTQ was the norm, and power was based on military might. If that is the case…what makes America great is the power of old, white men – I am scared. Genuinely frightened. But I am not going to go back into my bunker again just yet. November is coming and I most definitely am not going to vote for a candidate that is fueled by fear and hate…or who affectionately pats the ass of his grown daughter...EWWW!!!
Speaking of dads…
This dad will be once again be riding his bicycle across the great state of Iowa because he can. This is his SIXTEENTH RAGBRAI that he will be riding and you know, as long as there is a RAGBRAI and awesome 77 year old fathers who ride in it, along with 8,000 plus riders riding their bikes across the great state of Iowa just because they can, I still have a little hope Because as flawed and messed up as we can be sometimes right now, America is pretty great…as long as we don’t do something as foolish as taking that left at Albuquerque or vote for a platform of hate and fear.